Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Wednesday Thought -- October 10, 2012


Good Morning Friends,

“Be merciful to me, O God, for men hotly pursue me; all day long they press their attack.” (Psalm 56:1)

David was being pursued by his enemies.  He was under attack, this time by the Philistines.  They had the power to do great harm to David.  They could have diminished the control he had over the people of his kingdom.  They could have removed him from his throne.  They could have destroyed his family.  They could have ended his life.

David had reason to be afraid of them!  Instead, he chose not to be afraid.  He chose to trust the One who had the power to rescue him from those who opposed him.

“When I am afraid, I will trust in you.  In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid.  What can mortal man do to me?” (Psalm 56:3-4)

And for emphasis, he repeated himself later in the psalm.

“In God, whose word I praise, in the LORD, whose word I praise -- in God I trust; I will not be afraid.  What can man do to me?” (Psalm 56:10-11)

David isn’t the only one who has faced opposition from others.  Fellow employees and supervisors at work can be against us and out to do us harm.  Government officials can oppose what we want to do, sometimes unreasonably and unfairly.  Neighbors can be belligerent and seek their own way at our expense.  Family members can try to treat us in ways that are to our harm and to their advantage.

There are times when we have reason to be afraid!  Instead, like David, choose not to be afraid.  Choose to trust the One who has the power to rescue you from those who oppose you.  Trust God and don’t be afraid.

His, by Grace,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment