Friday, October 5, 2012

Friday Thought -- October 5, 2012


Good Morning Friends,

David sinned with Bathsheba and magnified his sin by dealing treacherously with her husband.  Then David tried to ignore his sin.  He didn’t want to deal with it.  He didn’t want to own it.  He didn’t want to admit it.

Haven’t you thought the same thing David did, “If I just ignore my sin, this feeling of guilt will go away after a while.”  But it didn’t for David, and it won’t for us!  The guilt continued to eat at David’s spirit until one day a prophet of God named Nathan came and exposed David’s sin.  It was the best thing that ever happened to David.  He could have continued to try to ignore the sin.  He could have had Nathan put to death.  But David chose the only way to really get away from his sin.  He stopped ignoring it, admitted it, and took it to God, and God wiped it away!  He wrote Psalm 51 after Nathan’s visit to express his heart to God.

“Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions.  Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.  For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me.  Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge.” (Psalm 51:1-4)

He admitted his sin and cried out to God for mercy.

“Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.  Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.” (Psalm 51:7, 10)

He asked for cleansing and a renewed spirit, a fresh start with God.

And God granted David’s request!

“The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.” (Psalm 51:17)

David humbled himself before God in repentance and God forgave!  It was the only way he could ever get rid of his sin!  And the only way we can get rid of ours, too!

His, by Grace,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment