Thursday, October 11, 2012

Thursday Thought -- October 11, 2012


Good Morning Friends,

“My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.  He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.  ... Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.  He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.  My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge.  Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.  Selah ... One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard: that you, O God, are strong, and that you, O Lord, are loving.” (Psalm 62:1-2, 5-8, 11-12)

Rest!  Sounds good, doesn’t it.  Life is so hectic and so complicated.  It is filled with tension and troubles.  Where is rest?

Jesus offered it!  He promised, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)

But my life is just too busy and too filled with difficult things that I have to deal with for me to find rest.  Why doesn’t God give what He promised?

David’s life provides a clue.  David’s life was not any simpler than mine, he ruled a nation.  And David’s life was not less troubled than mine.  He was pursued by Saul.  He was betrayed by his son.  He faced armies of opposition.  His daughter was raped by a half-brother.  Those are just a few of the troubles he faced, all much larger than any troubles I face.

Yet he said he was at rest.  How?  He remembered two things:  God is strong and God loved him.

For us, rest will come from the same things.  Not from a trouble-free life.  Not from a simplified life.  But from a life that knows and trusts God’s power and love.

His, by Grace,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment