Friday, October 26, 2012

Friday Thought -- October 26, 2012


Good Morning Friends,

“Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name.  I will praise you, O Lord my God, with all my heart; I will glorify your name forever.  For great is your love toward me; you have delivered me from the depths of the grave.” (Psalm 86:11-13)

An undivided heart is one that does not waver in its focus on and commitment to God.  That was David’s prayer, and it certainly matched God’s desire for him.

The enticement away from an undivided heart was strong in David’s life, even as it is in ours, too.  David struggled with selfishness just like we do.  When his heart was focused on his own needs and desires, it was not fully focused on God.

Paul described the journey toward an undivided heart in this way, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.  The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” (Galatians 2:20)

Paul describes a radical process, putting to death my own needs, desires, and will in order to be fully devoted to God.

That was David’s prayer.  It should be our prayer, too.

His, by Grace,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment