Thursday, September 27, 2012

Thursday Thought -- September 27, 2012


Good Morning Friends,

“Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but my ears you have pierced; burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not require.  Then I said, ‘Here I am, I have come -- it is written about me in the scroll.  I desire to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.’” (Psalm 40:6-8)

Ritual and ceremony -- going through the motions of religion -- are not what God desires.  What God desires is a heart that is devoted to Him!

David said, “I desire to do your will.”  David had a heart that longed to do what pleased God.  No wonder he was called a “man after God’s heart.”  David said, “your law is within my heart.”  Following God was not just an outward ritual for David, it came from deep within him.

That’s the difference between a Pharisee and a Christian.  For a Pharisee, a relationship with God was laws to obey, rules to keep, and ceremonies to go through.  For a Christian, a relationship with God is the response of a heart that is in love with Him.

Pharisee or Christian -- which best describes your relationship with God?

His, by Grace,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment