Thursday, September 13, 2012

Thursday Thought -- September 13, 2012


Good Morning Friends,

“The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul.  He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.  You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.  You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.  Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.” (Psalm 23:1-6)

Psalm 23 is one of the most familiar passages in the Bible.  It’s familiar because it speaks so clearly to the issues which trouble our lives.

We need someone who will be there for us when we need help and who is strong enough to provide the help we need.  It’s so comforting to know that the Lord is available for us.  And it’s comforting to know that He is our shepherd – the One who will provide what we need.  He watches over us and comes to our aid so that the deepest needs and wants of our lives will be satisfied.

Our souls need restoring because they have been marred so deeply by our sin.  The Lord provides the restoration we need.  David speaks of green pastures and quiet waters.  Those are images of places of peace and rest and that’s what our troubled souls need so desperately.

We need guidance along the right path.  We’ve made so many wrong turns in our lives that it has become clear that we have trouble discerning the right path to take.  We need someone who will point the way for us.  The Lord promises to be our guide and we can always count on Him to point us toward the best path – the righteous path.

There are places that are so frightful and through which no other human being can travel with us.  Death is the most frightening of all those places and it is the loneliest place that any of us will ever face.  What a marvelous promise that there is a Shepherd who will even walk with us through death’s dark valley.

Trouble – distress – heartache – error and sin – fear – those are all places to which our souls make frequent visits.  David reminds us that we don’t need to walk through those places alone and without help.  There is a Shepherd if we’ll turn to Him.

His, by Grace,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment