Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Wednesday Thought -- November 12, 2014

Good Morning Friends,

“But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment: in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me; in regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.” (John 16:7-11)

Jesus did not leave the earth and return to heaven for His own benefit. In fact, there is nothing about the actions of Jesus that falls into the self-benefit category. He came for our benefit – to teach, to guide, to give an example, and to make a sacrifice, all for us. He left the world for us, too. I can’t explain everything about how God works, but Jesus knows, and this is what He said, “Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come.”

The Holy Spirit would not come unless Jesus left. So, for our good, so that the Holy Spirit might come for our benefit, Jesus returned to heaven.

We often take the Holy Spirit for granted. Yet, without His influence, none of us would be walking with the Lord. It is His influence which convinces us of our sin. It is His influence which points to God’s righteousness and His offer to make it ours. It is His influence which reminds us that there is a judgment to come.

Imagine what it would be like without the influence of the Holy Spirit, and thank God for Him!

His, by Grace,


Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment