Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Tuesday Thought -- November 11, 2014

Good Morning Friends,

“If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. Remember the words I spoke to you: ‘No servant is greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the One who sent me.” (John 15:18-21)

I’d like people to think good things about me. I’d like them to speak good things about me. I’d like them to do good things to me. It’s no fun when people turn against you.

It wasn’t fun for Jesus, either! He had the same desires we have. He also would have preferred to be liked and respected by all men. But there were things more important to Him than what others thought about Him, said about Him, or did to Him. Following God was more important than being liked and respected by others. For Jesus, following God meant men would turn against Him.

When we follow Jesus we can expect the world to treat us like it treated Him. We can’t expect to be liked and respected by everyone. In fact, we can anticipate being disliked and mistreated by some in the world. That’s a cost of following Jesus.

Jesus said, “Woe to you when all men speak well of you.” (Luke 6:26)

What’s more important to you: following Jesus or being liked by men?

His, by Grace,


Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment