Friday, November 14, 2014

Friday Thought -- November 14, 2014

Good Morning Friends,

“My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.” (John 17:20-23)

Unity was on the heart of Jesus. He prayed for it on the last night of His life. It mattered to Him. Why? Because He knew that the world would react positively when His people were united. The impact of the Gospel on the world would be greater when it came from a united people of God.

Is that really true? Well, it’s been so long since the church even approached anything close to unity that we don’t have any experience by which to judge it. My guess is that Jesus is right, the world will take greater note of the message when it comes from a united church. Personally, I’d like to see us test that prayer and just see if it is true!

David said something similar: “How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity! For there the LORD bestows his blessing, even life forevermore.” (Psalm 133:1,3)

God blesses unity with salvation. That’s not just salvation for those who are united, but Jesus says it includes salvation for people in the world, too.

What a promise! Unity is worth pursuing! It may well be the most effective evangelism program ever developed! No wonder it was on Jesus’ heart! Perhaps it should be on our hearts, too.

His, by Grace,


Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment