Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Wednesday Thought -- May 20, 2015

Good Morning Friends,

“Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 3:12-14)

Sometimes it seems like an awfully long journey to spiritual maturity. I’ve been on the road for most of my life and I know I have not reached the goal, yet. I have to admit that there have been times in my life when I thought I was further along the road than I really was. God finally got my attention and brought me back to the reality of how far I was from where He wants to take me.

It’s such a long road that sometimes I feel like giving up. It seems like I’ll never reach the goal and the progress is so slow. It is to that spirit that Paul speaks here. His encouragement was to keep pressing on, even as he was. Paul hadn’t made it, either. But that didn’t discourage him. Instead, he kept pressing on.

That is good advice for travelers on the same journey:

Don’t ever get the idea that you’ve made it. If Paul hadn’t made it, I’m confident that you and I haven’t either.

Remember it is Jesus who grabbed hold of you and put you on the road in the first place. He’ll stay with you all along the journey.

Keep traveling one day at a time. Don’t dwell on the past. Let it go and keep moving forward.

Lift up your eyes and look toward the goal. There is a heavenly prize at the end of the journey. One day we will see Jesus and then we’ll be like Him. (1 John 3:2)

One more thing: don’t get so caught up in the slowness of the progress that you miss the joy of the journey itself!

His, by Grace,


Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment