Monday, May 4, 2015

Monday Thought -- May 4, 2015

Good Morning Friends,

“It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.” (Philippians 1:15-18)

Does it ever bother you to see preachers whose motives seem to be less than pure? It does me. There are some who seem to have an arrogance about them that makes it seem they preach only to exalt themselves. There are others who seem to be greedy, whose basic motivation is the pay they get for what they do. To add to the troubling aspect, some with seemingly impure motives are very successful in what they do.

This passage also reminds me of many other preachers I know whose attitudes and motives seem marvelous. I know those who seem to be so unselfish and willing to sacrifice anything in order to keep preaching. I know some who seem to have such deep love for those to whom they are preaching and a commitment to them that is marvelous. However, these aren’t always the most successful, in worldly terms, so that adds to the trouble for me.

I draw two conclusions from what Paul said about the motives of those who preach: Their motives shouldn’t matter to me. I can’t really know their motives, anyway. Besides, what should really cause me to rejoice is not their motivation, but that people are hearing the Good News. Even from the lips of those with impure motives, the Good News is still powerfully effective!

What Paul says makes me look as honestly as I can at my own motives. I want to be among those who do what I do for Christ because I love Him and want to serve Him and love those I help and want to serve them. How about an honest examination of your own motives?

His, by Grace,


Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment