Thursday, February 5, 2015

Thursday Thought -- February 5, 2015

Good Morning Friends,

“Two things I ask of you, O LORD; do not refuse me before I die: Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, ‘Who is the LORD?’ Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God.” (Proverbs 30:7-9)

If God granted you two wishes, what would you wish for?

God did appear to Solomon and told him to ask for whatever he wanted. (1 Kings 3:5) Solomon asked for a “discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong.” (1 Kings 3:9) God was pleased with that request and granted it for Solomon. God was pleased that Solomon didn’t ask for long life, riches, or the destruction of his enemies. (1 Kings 3:11)

If granted a wish, or two or three, many of us would ask for the things Solomon did not ask for. We daydream about being wealthy, powerful or famous. Yet, to request wealth or honor from God would demonstrate the selfish nature of our heart. Solomon asked not for something selfish, but something that would help him serve the Lord better.

You see the same kind of desire in today’s passage from Proverbs. Solomon did not want to dishonor God and the things that would help him not dishonor God were the things he asked for. That shows something about Solomon’s heart. He wasn’t a perfect man. In fact, we know of some of Solomon’s weaknesses and sins. But his heart sought God and desired to please Him, obey Him, and honor Him.

If God were to grant you a wish, or two or three, what would your requests demonstrate about your heart?

His, by Grace,


Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment