Friday, February 13, 2015

Friday Thought -- February 13, 2015

Good Morning Friends,

Solomon tried pleasure thinking it would bring fulfillment and satisfaction to his life. But he did not find it there.  Instead, in the end he found pleasure to be meaningless.

“I thought in my heart, ‘Come now, I will test you with pleasure to find out what is good.’ But that also proved to be meaningless. ‘Laughter,’ I said, ‘is foolish. And what does pleasure accomplish?’ I tried cheering myself with wine, and embracing folly - my mind still guiding me with wisdom. I wanted to see what was worthwhile for men to do under heaven during the few days of their lives.” (Ecclesiastes 2:1-3)

Can you find pleasure in a bottle of wine? Perhaps it will dull the pain for a short time, but the pain comes back with greater strength when the effect of the wine grows dim. To stay in a drunken stupor robs you of all of life. Wine isn’t the answer to purpose and meaning in life. It doesn’t add meaning, it takes it away, glass by glass.

Can you find meaning in laughter? The life of the jokester seems happy, but nothing is accomplished. The laughter fades and the jokes grow cold and there is no meaning left in that path.

Choose your pleasure, pursue it with all the fervor you can muster. It only leads to a dead end. The path of pleasure is filled with lights and noise and nothing more.

That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t enjoy life. God has given us all things to enjoy. (1 Timothy 6:17) What it does mean is that we shouldn’t make the pursuit of pleasure the goal and purpose of our lives. To do that really does make life meaningless.

There must be something better than pleasure to pursue --- and there is!

His, by Grace,


Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment