Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Tuesday Thought -- June 23, 2015

Good Morning Friends,

“Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.” (Ephesians 5:1-2)

We all need one or more heroes who will serve as role models for us as we shape our lives.

Growing up, one of my heroes was Roy Rogers, King of the Cowboys! I could envision myself riding to the rescue of those who were in distress. He was kind and good and brave, and he always won.

Willie Mays was another one of my heroes when I was a young boy. The Say Hey Kid sure could play baseball. He was a power hitter, he was an amazing outfielder, and he could run the bases with such speed. He was one of the most well-rounded baseball players ever to play the game. I dreamed of hitting home runs to win the World Series for my team. I dreamed of running full speed toward the fence as the ball zoomed off the bat of the opposing player and of reaching out at the last second to catch the ball just before it dropped in for a double or triple.

I had other heroes, too, but Roy and Willie were two of the most important for me as a boy. As I grew older I came to realize that neither was a very realistic hero for me to imitate. There weren’t very many cowboys around anymore, and besides, I lived in a city and never did learn to ride a horse or shoot a gun! And Willie, well there was the minor problem for me of talent – I had none when it came to playing baseball. I could dream all I wanted about doing the things Willie Mays did, but I could never actually DO any of them!

I do still have heroes that I dream of imitating. My primary hero is Jesus Christ! And that’s exactly who Paul says should be the hero for every Christian. And the primary characteristics of Jesus that we should seek to imitate are love for people and service to God. Imitate those characteristics of Jesus and become more and more like Him, and we’ll be heading in the right direction with our lives.

His, by Grace,


Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment