Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Tuesday Thought -- June 2, 2015

Good Morning Friends,

“Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles. Moreover, as you Philippians know, in the early days of your acquaintance with the gospel, when I set out from Macedonia, not one church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you only; for even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me aid again and again when I was in need. Not that I am looking for a gift, but I am looking for what may be credited to your account. I have received full payment and even more; I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:14-19)

The Philippians were generous people. They helped Paul in his missionary work time and again. And they helped the churches of Judea when they suffered through a famine. Paul used the example of their generosity to encourage other churches toward giving (see 2 Corinthians 8:1ff). They were generous even though they were not a wealthy people.

Paul said of them, “Out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity.” (2 Corinthians 8:2)

The giving of the Philippians was good for them. It wasn’t just good for those with whom they shared, it was good for the Philippians, too. Their giving was “credited to their account.” The Bible says that God will be no man’s debtor. When the Philippians gave, God blessed them in return. The blessings may not have been material, but God did bless them.

Their giving pleased God. That’s why they gave. They didn’t give for what they would get in return. They gave because they loved God and wanted to please Him.

Their giving did not deepen their financial poverty. Instead, Paul promises God’s provision for their needs because of their generous giving.

They were a good example to the Corinthians, an encouragement for them to give generously, too. They’re a good example for us, too.

His, by Grace,


Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment