Friday, December 19, 2014

Friday Thought -- December 19, 2014

Good Morning Friends,

“Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should.” (Colossians 4:2-4)

Paul believed in prayer. He challenged the Colossians to make prayer more than just a casual part of their lives. He challenged them to make it a central thing in their lives. If I were to tell you that I’m devoted to golf, you would assume that golf was a big part of my life. You would assume that I thought about golf often during the day and that I played golf regularly, as often as I could. Paul challenges us to be devoted to prayer -- to think about it often during our day, to pray regularly -- it is to be a big part of our lives.

To be devoted to prayer means more than praying before you eat and before you go to sleep. It means regular, consistent prayer characterizes your life. I know I’ve got a long way to go before I could honestly say that my life reflects a life that is devoted to prayer -- but that’s my goal.

Paul believed in prayer so much that he asked others to pray for him. He knew that his ministry was not solely dependent upon his own talents and efforts. In fact, it wasn’t dependent upon those things at all. His ministry was dependent upon God, and God would respond to the prayers of others for him.

The Colossians could be partners with Paul by praying for him. By praying for him they could impact the spread of the Gospel among others. What a privilege and what a power prayer is!

His, by Grace,

Steve


No comments:

Post a Comment