Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Wednesday Thought -- February 5, 2014

Good Morning Friends,

“‘How can I give you up, Ephraim? How can I hand you over, Israel? How can I treat you like Admah? How can I make you like Zeboiim? My heart is changed within me; all my compassion is aroused. I will not carry out my fierce anger, nor will I turn and devastate Ephraim. For I am God, and not man -- the Holy One among you. I will not come in wrath. They will follow the LORD; he will roar like a lion. When he roars, his children will come trembling from the west. They will come trembling like birds from Egypt, like doves from Assyria. I will settle them in their homes,’ declares the LORD.” (Hosea 11:8-11)

God never delights in wrath. He is the God of compassion and always longs to forgive those who turn from Him. He patiently waits for His people to come to Him in repentance. Over and over again, Israel had rejected the Lord. Over and over again, the Lord waited patiently for them to come back to Him. He withheld His wrath in the hope that they would turn again to Him.

That doesn’t mean His patience will never run out. It will. It did for Israel. His wrath did eventually come upon Israel. Although, even then it would be devastating punishment not designed to destroy them, but designed to wake the people up and cause them to return to Him.

Look around and see how much people have rejected the Lord. Understand how patient God has been with the people of the world. His wrath has been withheld. His punishment is delayed. He longs for people to return to Him. He will wait generations for it to happen. “The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” (2 Peter 3:9)

God wants His people to have that same kind of compassion and patience. We know the world is in sad shape because of its sin and its rejection of God. Don’t respond in anger or hatred -- God doesn’t! Respond with patience and a longing to see them return to Him.

His, by Grace,


Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment