Thursday, February 20, 2014

Thursday Thought -- February 20, 2014

Good Morning Friends,

“‘I gave you empty stomachs in every city and lack of bread in every town, yet you have not returned to me,’ declares the LORD. ‘I also withheld rain from you when the harvest was still three months away. I sent rain on one town, but withheld it from another. One field had rain; another had none and dried up. People staggered from town to town for water but did not get enough to drink, yet you have not returned to me,’ declares the LORD. ‘Many times I struck your gardens and vineyards, I struck them with blight and mildew. Locusts devoured your fig and olive trees, yet you have not returned to me,’ declares the LORD. ‘I sent plagues among you as I did to Egypt. I killed your young men with the sword, along with your captured horses. I filled your nostrils with the stench of your camps, yet you have not returned to me,’ declares the LORD. ‘I overthrew some of you as I overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah. You were like a burning stick snatched from the fire, yet you have not returned to me,’ declares the LORD.” (Amos 4:6-11)

Famine. Drought. Disease. Pests. Plagues. War. Disaster.

These were the tools of God to try to bring Israel back to Him. He used them all. He emptied His arsenal of instruments against them in an attempt to wake them up. He tried over and again. He waited patiently for them to respond.

But they did not respond as He wanted them to respond. They did not return to Him. They cried out in their sorrow, but did not repent. They kept on with their empty ceremonies and rituals, but they did not repent of their sins and return to the Lord.

Was Israel stubborn or blind, or both?

Earthquakes. Floods. Tornados. Hurricanes. Fires. Disease. Famine.

God continues to use His arsenal of tools in an attempt to get the people of the world to wake up. He uses them all. It seems as though He is holding nothing back. He is emptying His arsenal. He is waiting patiently.

The world cries out in anguish and sometimes in anger toward God, but they do repent. The world does not return to the Lord.

Is it stubbornness, blindness, or both?

His, by Grace,


Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment