Thursday, October 17, 2013

Thursday Thought -- October 17, 2013

Good Morning Friends,

The time came when Joseph’s brothers came to Egypt to buy food because of the famine. Jacob first sent ten of his sons, keeping Benjamin at home with him. Jacob had not changed, he still treated the sons of his favored wife with greater love than his other sons. Like he had shown Joseph favor years earlier, now he was showing favoritism to Benjamin.

But though Jacob had not changed, the brothers had. When they arrived in Egypt, Joseph recognized them but they did not recognize him. He kept Simeon in Egypt in prison and demanded that they bring their younger brother back with them as a test before Simeon would be released.

When the brothers arrived back at their father’s house, Jacob refused to send Benjamin to Egypt. Simeon stayed in prison with Jacob unwilling to risk Benjamin to rescue him. But the famine continued and the food ran out again and they had to return to Egypt. They could not return without Benjamin. Both Reuben and Judah vowed to protect Benjamin.

Reuben declared, “You may put both of my sons to death if I do not bring him back to you. Entrust him to my care, and I will bring him back.” (Genesis 42:37)

And Judah said, “Send the boy along with me and we will go at once, so that we and you and our children may live and not die. I myself will guarantee his safety; you can hold me personally responsible for him. If I do not bring him back to you and set him here before you, I will bear the blame before you all my life.” (Genesis 43:8-9)

God was at work in the lives of the sons of Jacob. They had not stayed the way they had been earlier when they were so angry at the unfairness of their father’s favoritism that they got rid of Joseph. Now they were willing to put themselves and their families at risk to protect the favored son.

Consider your own life and how you’ve changed and grown over the years. If God is at work in your life, you’re not the same as you were years ago. God is faithful to work in the lives of His children. Rejoice in the changes He has made in you!

His, by Grace,


Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment