Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Wednesday Thought -- November 28, 2012


Good Morning Friends,

“My heart is not proud, O LORD, my eyes are not haughty; I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me.  But I have stilled and quieted my soul; like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me.  O Israel, put your hope in the LORD both now and forevermore.”(Psalm 131:1-3)

David wrote this psalm.  King of Israel.  Ruler of a vast land.  Responsible for military protection of all his people.  Responsible for civil government.  Responsible for planning for the welfare of the kingdom.  There was a huge amount of responsibility that rested upon David’s shoulders.  And there would have been a huge temptation to consider himself important, even irreplaceable.

Yet, David had learned to step back from all of his responsibilities and the weighty matters ahead of him and find rest just in being with God.  He didn’t have to be great.  He didn’t have to make great contributions to the world or to God.  He found the greatest satisfaction in just being with God as a child finds satisfaction in being in its mother’s arms.  In fact, he was like a weaned child -- not a child who desperately wanted something from his mother, but a child just content to be held in his mother’s arms.

I know you have a lot that needs to be done today, we all do.  But somewhere along the way take just a few moments, at least, to be with God.  Don’t be with Him because you need something from Him.  Just be with Him to feel Him hold you in His strong arms.  Hear Him speak words of love into your ear.  Consider how strong and reliable and worthy of trust He is.

It’s not the great things you will do today that matter most to God.  It’s not how important you are.  It’s you.  Just you in whom God finds pleasure.

His, by Grace,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment