Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Wednesday Thought – December 7, 2016


Good Morning Friends,



“Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.” (1 Corinthians 9:19-23)



Paul was a Roman citizen and that carried many rights. Those rights were important to Paul and he took advantage of them. At Philippi, Paul used his citizenship to force the officials to treat him better.



But Paul’s rights were not the most important thing in his life. Sharing the gospel with those who did not know Christ was more important than his rights. He willingly gave up his rights, his freedoms, and his desires in order to be able to share the gospel more effectively with the people around him.



We’re American citizens and we’re Christians. Both those distinctions carry a great many rights and privileges. Those rights and privileges are important to us. As Americans, we can use our rights to our advantage. As Christians we have freedom from the restrictions of the law and from many of the taboos that other religions have.



But those rights and freedoms must not be the most important things in our lives. The people around us should matter more to us than our rights and freedoms. We should be willing to lay aside our rights and limit our freedoms in order to help the people around us -- especially to be more effective in sharing the gospel with them.



His, by Grace, Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment