Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Tuesday Thought – May 31, 2016


Good Morning Friends,



“The LORD says: ‘When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my gracious promise to bring you back to this place. For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the LORD, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,’ declares the LORD, ‘and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,’ declares the LORD, ‘and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.’” (Jeremiah 29:10-14)



God decreed seventy years for captivity in Babylon. God set that time before the people were defeated by Nebuchadnezer. After 70 years, God promised to bring them back home to Israel.



Captivity would be a difficult time for the people. They would be living as an oppressed people in the service of foreigners. But God’s plans did not end with their oppression. God’s plans never end with His children in pain and suffering. God’s plans always contain a future and hope. God’s plans are never designed to hurt, always designed for the ultimate good of His purposes and of His children.



That’s easy to forget in the midst of the pain. That’s why God had Jeremiah speak these words. These words should have been memorized by every Jew in Babylon and repeated daily. God would bring them home to Him and home to their own land.



This world often brings pain. In the midst of the pain, don’t forget the future and the hope. There is a promise from Jesus that we should memorize and repeat daily: “In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.” (John 14:3)



His, by Grace, Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment