Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Tuesday Thought -- October 28, 2014

Good Morning Friends,

“‘Now my heart is troubled, and what shall I say? “Father, save me from this hour”? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify your name!’ Then a voice came from heaven, ‘I have glorified it, and will glorify it again.’ The crowd that was there and heard it said it had thundered; others said an angel had spoken to him. Jesus said, ‘This voice was for your benefit, not mine. Now is the time for judgment on this world; now the prince of this world will be driven out. But I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself.’” (John 12:27-32)

A troubled heart can have many causes. What troubled Jesus’ heart was the prospect of what He was about to go through. The physical pain would be terrible. Even worse would be the spiritual pain of the sin He would carry and the separation from the Father that it would cause.

When I have a troubled heart, I want to do what I can to get rid of it. I want to avoid what causes it. But sometimes what causes a troubled heart is the very thing that will accomplish the most in our lives or through our lives.

The prospect of the cross troubled Jesus’ heart. But it was the cross through which men would be drawn to Him and given salvation. Should He avoid the cross to save Himself the pain? To do so would mean He would miss that which would accomplish the most through His life. The pain was worth it to Him because of what it would accomplish.

Sometimes the pain is worth it in our lives, too. Sometimes for what it accomplishes in us and sometimes for what it accomplishes through us.

His, by Grace,


Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment