Monday, September 2, 2013

Monday Thought -- September 2, 2013

Good Morning Friends,

“God said, ‘Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?’ The man said, ‘The woman you put here with me – she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.’ Then the Lord God said to the woman, ‘What is this you have done?’ The woman said, ‘The serpent deceived me, and I ate.’” (Genesis 3:11-13)

The blame game is as old as mankind and still as prevalent today as it has ever been.

Adam and Eve faced the first sin that they brought into the world by turning to the blame game. Adam blamed Eve – “she gave me some fruit.” Adam blamed God – “The woman you put here with me.” Eve blamed the serpent – “The serpent deceived me.” Everyone found someone else to blame.

I’ve played the blame game as long as I can remember and there have always been others on whom to the lay the blame for my sins. Early in life I had my sisters to blame. Later there were classmates and friends. When I married Claudia I found someone new to blame for the problems that were in me. Bringing children into the world brought new culprits to name. Today there are co-workers, friends, parents, government, bosses, financial advisors, and so many others from which to choose. I can blame all of them at one point or another. As long as the blame doesn’t point back toward me I can justify what I’ve done.

I know I’m not alone in playing the blame game. You play it, too. We all do. We always have. And yet, the blame game never works. It is never the solution to our problems. In fact, it heads us in the opposite direction from the help we need. The Apostle John reminded us, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9)

When we choose to play the blame game, we move further and further away from the cleansing that we need. It’s only when we choose to step up to the plate and accept responsibility for the wrong for which we are guilty that God pours out His cleansing.

His, by Grace,


Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment