Friday, September 13, 2013

Friday Thought -- September 13, 2013

Good Morning Friends,

“Now there was a famine in the land, and Abram went down to Egypt to live there for a while because the famine was severe. As he was about to enter Egypt, he said to his wife Sarai, ‘I know what a beautiful woman you are. When the Egyptians see you, they will say, “This is his wife.” Then they will kill me but will let you live. Say you are my sister, so that I will be treated well for your sake and my life will be spared because of you.’ When Abram came to Egypt, the Egyptians saw that she was a very beautiful woman. And when Pharaoh's officials saw her, they praised her to Pharaoh, and she was taken into his palace.” (Genesis 12:10-15)

Abraham provides an interesting case study in humanity. He was a great man of faith. He exercised greater faith than I ever have in leaving his home when God asked him to, not knowing where he was going. His faith would be tested even more later when he gave Lot the choice land and accepted the worst for himself and the ultimate test of his faith was in his willingness to obey God in sacrificing Isaac. Abraham was a great man of faith.

Yet, the story in Genesis 12 demonstrates a lack of faith. Abraham didn’t believe he could be honest and live. He didn’t trust God to take care of him.

Because of his lack of faith in this situation, he jeopardized his wife and his marriage and he brought great trouble to the house of Pharaoh.

A man brought his demon-possessed son to Jesus. He cried out for help, asking Jesus to heal him. Jesus said it was possible, if he believed. The man responded, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” (Mark 9:24)

Abraham could have said the same thing to God, “I do believe, help me overcome my unbelief.” I could say the same thing, too.

His, by Grace,


Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment