Monday, August 12, 2013

Monday Thought -- August 12, 2013

Good Morning Friends,

“I speak the truth in Christ - I am not lying, my conscience confirms it in the Holy Spirit - I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, those of my own race, the people of Israel. Theirs is the adoption as sons; theirs the divine glory, the covenants, the receiving of the law, the temple worship and the promises. Theirs are the patriarchs, and from them is traced the human ancestry of Christ, who is God over all, forever praised! Amen.” (Romans 9:1-5)

So, here’s the question: How badly do you want those you care about to find salvation in Christ?

Paul said he would be willing to forfeit his own salvation if he could exchange it for the salvation of his fellow Jews. He wasn’t making an exaggerated claim – he declared that offer as truth confirmed by his conscience in the Holy Spirit. Paul did know that it was not possible for him to surrender his salvation for the salvation of his fellow Jews, but that did not diminish his willingness.

It’s not that Paul did not value his own salvation. In fact, Paul told the Philippians that there was nothing more valuable to him than knowing Christ and being found in Him. “What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him.” (Philippians 3:8-9)

But as much as he valued his relationship with Christ, he would give it up if that would result in his fellow Jews being saved! What an unselfish declaration that is.

And I’ll go you one even better than that. There is One who did what Paul declared himself willing to do. There is One who surrendered His relationship with God in order for others to come into that relationship. From the cross, Jesus cried out to His Father, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Matthew 27:46) The Father turned His back on His Son in order to save you and me. And Jesus was willing to pay that price for our salvation. That’s how much He wanted you and me to be saved!

So, here’s the question: How badly do you want those you care about to find salvation in Christ?

Do you want it badly enough to be willing to surrender your own salvation to ensure theirs? How about being willing to pay a much smaller price than that – like talking to them about Jesus?

His, by Grace,


Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment