Monday, February 11, 2013

Monday Thought -- February 11, 2013


Good Morning Friends,

“They crucified two robbers with him, one on his right and one on his left.  Those who passed by hurled insults at him, shaking their heads and saying, ‘So!  You who are going to destroy the temple and build it in three days, come down from the cross and save yourself!’  In the same way the chief priests and the teachers of the law mocked him among themselves.  ‘He saved others,’ they said, ‘but he can’t save himself!  Let this Christ, this King of Israel, come down now from the cross, that we may see and believe.’  Those crucified with him also heaped insults on him.” (Mark 15:27-32)

I’m amazed at the utter cruelty of people.  Jesus was being crucified, horribly killed.  Yet, they weren’t even satisfied with that.  They mocked Him and jeered at Him, even as He hung dying on the cross.

They challenged Him to come down from the cross and save Himself.  That’s the one miracle that Jesus would not perform.  He’d already struggled with that decision in the Garden of Gethsemane and settled the matter.  He would not save Himself.  He would not walk away from the cross.  Not because He could not, but because He would not.  He loved us too much.  His death meant too much for us.

The chief priests decided He could not save Himself.  The reality was that He could have, but would not!  They did not understand.  Most of them never would.

Jesus Himself made it clear that the cross was His own choice, “No one takes it (my life) from me, but I lay it down of my own accord.  I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again.” (John 10:18)

I’m glad He didn’t come down off the cross.  I’m glad He loved me that much!

His, by Grace,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment