Friday, February 1, 2013

Friday Thought -- February 1, 2013


Good Morning Friends,

“While he was in Bethany, reclining at the table in the home of a man known as Simon the Leper, a woman came with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, made of pure nard.  She broke the jar and poured the perfume on his head.  Some of those present were saying indignantly to one another, ‘Why this waste of perfume?  It could have been sold for more than a year’s wages and the money given to the poor.’  And they rebuked her harshly.  ‘Leave her alone,’ said Jesus.  ‘Why are you bothering her?  She has done a beautiful thing to me.  The poor you will always have with you, and you can help them any time you want.  But you will not always have me.  She did what she could.  She poured perfume on my body beforehand to prepare for my burial.  I tell you the truth, wherever the gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.” (Mark 14:3-9)

People use a number of words to describe me – conservative would be a polite way of saying what they think.  Cheap is one that is not quite as kind – but still accurate.  I don’t like to spend money.  I’m not one for splurging very often, at least in most ways.  I shop for bargains when I buy clothes and would never wear something with a designer label unless it was on clearance.  I drive well-made but relatively inexpensive cars and keep them for a long time.  I rarely buy jewelry – and am thankful I have a wife who prefers not to wear much jewelry.  It’s always been a struggle for me to buy cut flowers – they cost so much and die so quickly!

From the story above it seems like I would have fit in well with the men Jesus chose as His apostles.  They seemed to be conservative, too.  They were appalled at the extravagant gesture of the woman who “wasted” her expensive perfume on Jesus’ feet.  They had other uses for the money that could have been raised by selling the perfume.

But Jesus didn’t rebuke the woman for her extravagance.  In fact, Jesus indicated that her extravagant gesture of love was a beautiful thing and something that would become world famous in the years and generations ahead.  Of course, Jesus was right.  Her act of love is still being talked about some 2,000 years after she did it.

The point is – sometimes extravagance is worth it.  Roses on the right occasion speak volumes to a woman.  A diamond can melt a heart.  There are few men, smitten by love, who have not done something wildly extravagant to show their love.

So – how much do you love Jesus?  Maybe some extravagance toward Him would be appropriate, too!

His, by Grace,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment