Friday, August 24, 2012

Friday Thought -- August 24, 2012


Good Morning Friends,

“O Lord, how many are my foes!  How many rise up against me!  Many are saying of me, ‘God will not deliver him.’  But you are a shield around me, O Lord; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head.  To the Lord I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill.  I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me, I will not fear the tens of thousands drawn up against me on every side.  Arise, O Lord!  Deliver me, O my God!  Strike all my enemies on the jaw; break the teeth of the wicked.  From the Lord comes deliverance.  May your blessing be on your people.” (Psalm 3:1-8)

David was being pursued by Saul.  Saul was king of Israel and was bringing the strength of the army of Israel against David.  David, on the other hand, had only a rag-tag small group of loyal friends on his side.  It would seem that David’s army was no match for the army of Israel.  And from a human perspective, it wasn’t!  It should have just been a matter of time until Saul’s army caught up with David and put an end to him and his men.  They stood no chance!

But David had more on his side than just a small group of loyal friends.  David trusted in the Lord and asked the Lord for deliverance from the army of Saul.  And God came to David’s rescue, time and again.  Though Saul pursued David, he was never able to catch him.  In fact, just the opposite happened, God delivered Saul into David’s hands on two different occasions.  David had the opportunity to kill Saul, but didn’t take it out of respect for the position that Saul held.  But David did latch on to some piece of evidence on both occasions to prove to Saul that he could have won the battle in a single blow and chose not to.

It didn’t matter how many lined up against David.  The outcome of the battle was not determined by the size or strength of the armies involved.  The outcome of the battle was in the Lord’s hands and not Saul’s or David’s.

The same is true in your life.  It may seem like the opposition is strong and outnumbers you many times over.  It may seem that you have no chance of victory or even of survival.  But victory and survival are not in human strength, but in the hands of the Lord.

David trusted God to take care of him and his trust was well placed.  He is an example to us to trust God in all our battles.

His, by Grace,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment