Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Wednesday Thought -- December 7, 2011

Good Morning Friends,

Today is Becky’s birthday.  Just writing those words is difficult.  Today will be a hard day.  It’s her first birthday since she died.  In just three weeks we’ll observe the first anniversary of her death.

From Thanksgiving through early January there are numerous dates that have special meaning and will raise special memories.  I’ve been thinking about Becky a lot lately and crying more than I’ve done in several months.

I was thinking about how I’m feeling and that took me to a word that was spoken by Simeon when Jesus was first taken to the Temple by His parents and presented there.  Simeon held the baby Jesus in his arms and praised God with marvelous words:
“Sovereign Lord, as you have promised, you now dismiss your servant in peace.  For my eyes have seen your salvation, which you have prepared in the sight of all people, a light for revelation to the Gentiles and for glory to your people Israel.” (Luke 2:29-32)

Having lifted his voice in praise to God in recognition of the great good that God was doing through His Son, Simeon then turned to Mary with a somber word for her:
“This child is destined to cause the falling and rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be spoken against, so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed.  And a sword will pierce your own soul too." (Luke 2:34-35)

Simeon predicted that a sword would pierce Mary’s heart – and it did.  As she watched her Son from the foot of the cross it was as though her heart was being wrenched and broken.

I understand how Mary felt far better today than I did a year ago.  I know what it feels like to have your heart wrenched and broken.  And I’m reminded that Mary isn’t the only one whose heart was broken at the cross – the Father watched with tears and agony, too.  His grief was so deep that He turned off the lights and shook the earth.

And yet, it was through that which caused the Father the deepest agony that Jesus brought His greatest gift and worked His greatest good.

Sometimes broken hearts and gut-wrenching agony lead to astounding good.  Cling to that when your heart is broken – I know I am!

His, by Grace,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment