Friday, October 14, 2016

Friday Thought – October 14, 2016


Good Morning Friends,



“While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of a man known as Simon the Leper, a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table. When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. ‘Why this waste?’ they asked. ‘This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor.’ Aware of this, Jesus said to them, ‘Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me. The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me. When she poured this perfume on my body, she did it to prepare me for burial. I tell you the truth, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.’” (Matthew 26:6-13)



What the woman in this story did for Jesus was extravagant. The perfume could have been sold for a year’s wages (John 12:5). Now that’s expensive perfume! Like the disciples, I, too would struggle with the waste of pouring out perfume that expensive all at once. Actually, I would struggle to ever buy such perfume for any reason, as I think most of us would.



But I wonder, do I ever do anything extravagant for Jesus? Do I ever do anything to express my love for Him that costs so much it seems unreasonable. Maybe it costs me so much money -- maybe so much effort --maybe so much time -- or so much of anything. If I never do anything that shows extravagance in the way I express my love for Jesus, is it because I really don’t think He is worth it? Or am I just cheap?



Mary did something extravagant for Jesus and it touched His heart deeply. He told His disciples that what she did would be preached all over the world. And it has been! It was included in Mathew’s Gospel and John’s too. Jesus was touched by her extravagance.



I just wonder why I hold back! How about you?



His, by Grace, Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment