Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Tuesday Thought – July 5, 2016


Good Morning Friends,



“Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. But John tried to deter him, saying, ‘I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?’ Jesus replied, ‘Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.’ Then John consented.  As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, ‘This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.’” (Matthew 3:13-17)



John tried to deter Jesus from His baptism. I’m convinced that his intentions were good. It was an act of humility, recognition, and worship. John wanted Jesus to baptize him, not the other way around. Jesus did not rebuke John, He just explained it further so that John could understand and then John was willing to do what Jesus asked of him.



But, I wonder, do we ever act like John did that day? Do we ever hear what Jesus asks us to do, and argue with Him about it? Do we ever give Him excuses why we should not do what He has asked? I know He’s patient with us, and often doesn’t rebuke us, He just explains further so that we understand. But that shouldn’t be necessary. Who are we to question God?



I know that what Jesus asked John to do didn’t seem reasonable. Sometimes what God asks of us doesn’t seem reasonable, either. But who is Master and who is servant?



Lord, what do you want me to do? What You ask doesn’t need to be reasonable, it just needs to be from You!



His, by Grace, Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment