Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Wednesday Thought – November 18, 2015

Good Morning Friends,

“O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing! Look, your house is left to you desolate. I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.’” (Luke 13:34-35)

Can you sense Jesus’ heart in this passage?

He loved the people of Jerusalem. Now understand that these are the people who will kill Him. Jesus knew that. He knew what awaited Him in just a very short time. Yet knowing they would kill Him, Jesus still loved them.

That says a lot about the heart of Jesus for those who are lost. Jesus loves lost people. His heart breaks over their lost condition. He doesn’t look forward to the separation from Him that will result from their choice to reject Him. He weeps when He considers what fate awaits them in eternity.

Jesus considers lost people His children. He longs to sweep them under His protective wings like a hen does for her own chicks. That speaks of love and compassion. All people on earth are God’s children and He longs for all of them to be with Him in eternity.

The heart of Jesus is challenging to me because I have opened my own heart to Him with a desire for my heart to become like His heart. Yet I know that my heart often does not reflect the depth of love and concern for lost people that the heart of Jesus reflects.

Consider the way that many people responded when Bin Laden was killed – even many Christian people. There was rejoicing at his death. There was little weeping that he entered an eternity that broke God’s heart and should have broken ours. Was it justice?  Yes – but justice doesn’t bring God joy – it brings weeping instead.

Let my heart be broken by the things that break the heart of God.

His, by Grace, Steve


No comments:

Post a Comment