Friday, October 2, 2015

Friday Thought – October 2, 2015

Good Morning Friends,

“The centurion sent friends to say to him: ‘Lord, don't trouble yourself, for I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. That is why I did not even consider myself worthy to come to you. But say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, 'Go,' and he goes; and that one, 'Come,' and he comes. I say to my servant, 'Do this,' and he does it.’ When Jesus heard this, he was amazed at him, and turning to the crowd following him, he said, ‘I tell you, I have not found such great faith even in Israel.’ Then the men who had been sent returned to the house and found the servant well.” (Luke 7:6-10)

What is faith?

Faith is not just about what a person believes, although real faith rests upon a right set of beliefs and without those beliefs faith can’t be real and solid. But faith is more than believing the right things.

Faith is about responding to the right set of beliefs in ways that demonstrate you truly believe what you say you believe.

The centurion believed Jesus could heal his servant. He believed Jesus could heal his servant just by speaking the word. It wasn’t about the medical treatment Jesus would offer or about creating the right psychological environment to which the servant would respond. It was simply that the word of Jesus would accomplish it.

The centurion not only said that Jesus could heal with just a word, but he acted like Jesus could heal with just a word.

That’s faith. To believe something and act on it in a way that shows you really do believe it.

You know the right things to believe about Jesus: He is God’s Son and your Lord. You say you believe those things. The question is, do you act like you believe them. Jesus forgives … do you act like you are forgiven. Jesus offers heaven … do you act like heaven awaits when you die. Jesus is Lord … do you act like He is in charge of your life.

What would Jesus say about your faith?


His, by Grace, Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment