Thursday, March 19, 2015

Thursday Thought -- March 19, 2015

Good Morning Friends,

“To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”(2 Corinthians 12:7-10)

Not all of my prayers are answered in the way that I think they should be. Sometimes it is like God has turned a deaf ear to my requests. Sometimes there seems to be an answer, but it’s not the one I expected. Sometimes my prayers are answered in the way that I thought they should be.

Paul had that same experience with prayer. You can read the account of his ministry as it is recorded in the book of Acts and you’ll see many amazing answers to prayer. There were times when God responded with miraculous power to Paul’s requests, even to the point of raising someone from the dead. But not all of Paul’s prayers were answered with miraculous power. There were times when it seemed that even in Paul’s life God had turned a deaf ear. It is one of those times that Paul is talking about in today’s text.

It was a thorn in the flesh that Paul prayed about. He wanted to get rid of it. It was bothering him. It was a torment that hindered his effectiveness in spreading the Gospel. At least, that’s what Paul thought. So, as a man of faith, Paul asked God to take it away. He’d seen miracles in the lives of others and even in his own life and expected to see one this time, too. But no miracle came. God didn’t do anything to take away or even ease the problem that plagued Paul.

After several requests, Paul finally got an answer, but it still wasn’t the one he expected, or wanted. Instead, God said that He wasn’t going to remove Paul’s thorn -- Paul needed it. Although it seemed a hindrance to Paul, God knew that it was actually a help to him. It made him a more effective servant of God, not a less effective one.

Sometimes that’s why our prayers aren’t answered the way we think they should be -- because God sees things differently than we do. We don’t always ask for what is best for us -- so like any good parent, God sometimes says “no.”

His, by Grace,


Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment