Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tuesday Thought -- January 22, 2013


Good Morning Friends,

“Then James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came to him.  ‘Teacher,’ they said, ‘we want you to do for us whatever we ask.’  ‘What do you want me to do for you?’ he asked.  They replied, ‘Let one of us sit at your right and the other at your left in your glory.’  ‘You don’t know what you are asking,’ Jesus said.  ‘Can you drink the cup I drink or be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with?’  ‘We can,’ they answered.  Jesus said to them, ‘You will drink the cup I drink and be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with, but to sit at my right or left is not for me to grant.  These places belong to those for whom they have been prepared.’” (Mark 10:35-40)

Can you believe the immaturity, the selfishness and the arrogance of James and John?

First, they had to know that what they were going to ask of Jesus was not something they should have been asking for.  You can tell that they knew by the way they introduced their question to Jesus.  They tried to trick Jesus into agreeing to their request before they told Him what their request was.  That sounds like something a four year old would do.  Of course Jesus didn’t fall for their trickery.

Then there is the selfishness of the question itself.  They wanted power and glory – to sit on the right and left of Jesus.

Then comes the arrogance.  When Jesus asked them if they could drink the cup He was going to drink they said they could.  There was no question about their strength or ability – not in their own mind.  They knew they could handle whatever life threw at them.

I’m shocked that two of Jesus’ closest followers would be so immature, so selfish and so arrogant.  That is, I’m shocked until I do an honest review of my own prayer requests made to the Lord.  When I look honestly at what I’ve asked for I can often see immaturity, selfishness and arrogance in my own requests of God.  Maybe James and John aren’t so much different from the way I am – and I’ve been with Jesus a lot longer than they had when they made their requests!

Lord, help me grow beyond my immaturity.  Help me say “no” to my selfishness.  Help me lay aside all arrogance for the humility that You demonstrated so clearly.

His, by Grace,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment