Thursday, February 2, 2012

Friday Thought -- February 3, 2012

Good Morning Friends,

“In everything set them an example by doing what is good.  In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us.  Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, not to talk back to them, and not to steal from them, but to show that they can be fully trusted, so that in every way they will make the teaching about God our Savior attractive.” (Titus 2:7-10)

I can’t imagine a more distasteful and unbearable life-situation than to be a slave.  That anyone would even consider that they could “own” another person, is beyond my comprehension.  I know it’s not so long since such thoughts were common in parts of the United States.  In fact, my own ancestors “owned” slaves.  I’m so glad that we’ve moved beyond that insanity.

Paul was very familiar with slavery.  The Roman Empire in which he lived and of which he was a citizen was filled with slaves.  In some cities there were more slaves than there were non-slaves.  And slaves were as poorly treated by some masters then as they were by some masters in the pre-Civil War south.

It is startling, then, to find New Testament statements like the one Paul made above to Titus:  “slaves be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, etc.”  It seems logical that if anyone had a right to be rebellious and to stand up for what is right, slaves did.  But for Paul, there were more important things than individual rights.  The more important thing was the advance of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  And a slave could do much more to advance the Gospel of Jesus by being cooperative than by being rebellious.

I’m not a slave.  Yet, even in my life of comfort, I struggle to let go of my individual rights for any reason, even for the greater good of the advance of the Gospel.  I struggle to let go of my “rights” in marriage – my “rights” at work – my “rights” as an American citizen – my “rights” as a homeowner – and on and on the areas go in which God calls me to let go of my “rights.”  I still have a lot of growing to do in order to more fully understand God’s priorities and values!  How about you?

His, by Grace,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment