Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Wednesday Thought -- January 18, 2012

Good Morning Friends,

“‘The time is coming,’ declares the LORD, ‘when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah.  It will not be like the covenant I made with their forefathers when I took them by the hand to lead them out of Egypt, because they broke my covenant, though I was a husband to them,’ declares the LORD.  ‘This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel after that time,’ declares the LORD.  ‘I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts.  I will be their God, and they will be my people.  No longer will a man teach his neighbor, or a man his brother, saying, “Know the LORD,” because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest,’ declares the LORD.  ‘For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.’” (Jeremiah 31:31-34)

Jeremiah prophesied of a day that was in the future from where he stood.  It sounds like a marvelous day.  It was a day of a new covenant that he proclaimed.  The old covenant was an external, imposed law.  The new covenant was to be a relationship from within, implanted in the hearts of those with whom God entered the new covenant.  It was to be a day of close relationship with God.  It was to be a day of “knowing the Lord” and not needing priests and intermediaries to make Him known.  It was to be a day of forgiveness and grace, a day in which sin would be dealt with and forgiven.

It sounds like a marvelous day.  And we live in that day!!!  It is not future to us.  It is not something that needs to be prophesied of the future.  Jeremiah saw it from hundreds of years before it happened.  He saw it only in prospect, only from a distance.  We see it up close.  We live it.  We enjoy it.  It is God’s gift to us.

A day of close relationship with Him.

A day of God implanting Himself within us.

A day of “knowing Him.”

A day of forgiveness.

A day of grace.

The day of Christ.  The day in which we are blessed to live!!

His, by Grace,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment