Thursday, October 27, 2011

Friday Thought -- October 28, 2011

Good Morning Friends,

Much of David’s time as king was time spent at war.  His kingship started with Saul pursuing him and trying to kill him.  The rest of his kingship was filled with other enemies.  Some of them came from within his household and from within his army.  His son betrayed him and tried to take the kingdom from him and some of his advisors and leaders of his army would also betray him and try to remove him from the throne.  There were internal struggles and there were enemies from outside Israel who were intent on destroying David.  Time and again the Philistines gathered an army and rose up against Israel and David.

And throughout David’s reign, God delivered David from all of his enemies.  Though sometimes outnumbered, David and his army would come out victorious in the end.  David understood that it was the Lord’s blessing and protection that gave him victory over his enemies.  So David wrote a song and sang it before the Lord to declare his gratitude to God.

It began with these words,

“The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior - from violent men you save me. I call to the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies.” (2 Samuel 22:2-4)

It concluded in similar praise,

“The LORD lives!  Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be God, the Rock, my Savior! He is the God who avenges me, who puts the nations under me, who sets me free from my enemies. You exalted me above my foes; from violent men you rescued me. Therefore I will praise you, O LORD, among the nations; I will sing praises to your name. He gives his king great victories; he shows unfailing kindness to his anointed, to David and his descendants forever.” (2 Samuel 22:47-51)

David clearly understood that the honor for the victories that he had won in battle did not belong to him, but to the Lord.  David gave praise to Him to whom it was due!

His, by Grace,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment