Thursday, September 22, 2011

Friday Thought -- September 23, 2011

Good Morning Friends,

What God promises He will fulfill!

Samuel reminded Saul, “He who is the Glory of Israel does not lie or change his mind; for he is not a man, that he should change his mind." (1 Samuel 15:29)

In this situation these were not words that Saul wanted to hear.  Samuel had just rebuked Saul for disobeying the Lord and informed Saul that because of his disobedience God was removing the kingship from Saul and his family.  Samuel declared to Saul, "The Lord has torn the kingdom of Israel from you today and has given it to one of your neighbors – to one better than you.” (1 Samuel 15:28)

Saul seemed to repent, but God’s mind would not be changed.  In his repentance you can see that Saul doesn’t really get it.  Listen to what he says:  "I have sinned.  I violated the Lord's command and your instructions.  I was afraid of the people and so I gave in to them.  Now I beg you, forgive my sin and come back with me, so that I may worship the Lord." (1 Samuel 15:24-25)

Even in his repentance, Saul continued to justify his sin, to lay the blame at the feet of others.  He told Samuel that he had sinned because of his fear of the people.  He gave in to them, that was the reason for his sin.  Saul admitted that he had been wrong, but he wanted to believe that the people had been more wrong than he was.   They were the impatient ones.

And God’s mind was set and would not be changed.  Through Samuel, God made a declaration to Saul – the kingdom would be removed from him and his family.  Another man would be declared king and it would be his family through which the true kings of Israel would come.  That was a declaration that you could count on – it came from God.

Think of other declarations that God has made about your life.  Here are just a handful that He has made to those in Christ:

“I will come again.”

“I have prepared a place for you.”

“You will be with me forever.”

“Your sins are forgiven.”

“I declare you my child.”

Every one can be counted on – and many more!  God has declared them, and He does not lie or change His mind!

His, by Grace,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment