Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Thursday Thought -- July 28, 2011

Good Morning Friends,

"As he approached Bethphage and Bethany at the hill called the Mount of Olives, he sent two of his disciples, saying to them, 'Go to the village ahead of you, and as you enter it, you will find a colt tied there, which no one has ever ridden.  Untie it and bring it here.  If anyone asks you, 'Why are you untying it?' tell him, 'The Lord needs it.''  Those who were sent ahead went and found it just as he had told them.  As they were untying the colt, its owners asked them, 'Why are you untying the colt?'  They replied, 'The Lord needs it.'  They brought it to Jesus, threw their cloaks on the colt and put Jesus on it."  (Luke 19:29-35)

I marvel at the folks who owned the colt.  They had something that Jesus needed and so Jesus sent His disciples to get it.  The disciples didn't ask before they began to take it.  They just started to untie the colt so they could bring it to Jesus as He told them to.  When the owners questioned what the disciples were doing they simply said, "the Lord needs it."  And that was enough for the owners.  They let the colt be taken without further question.  There was no promise that the colt would be returned.  There was no explanation of why the colt was needed.  There was simply the statement that it was needed by the Lord and that was enough for those owners.

I don't own any colts, but I do have a lot of other stuff that I consider mine.  I have a house and cars and clothes and money and time and talents.  All of those things belong to me.  I own them.  I determine how they will be used and what will be done with them.  I wonder how I would respond if the Lord sent someone to say He had need of them.  I wonder how I do respond to that kind of statement, because I'm convinced that there are times when the Lord does call for me to relinquish what is mine and use it for Him.  Am I like the owners of the colt, gladly willing to let go of what it mine, without questions, when the Lord lets me know He needs it?

His, by Grace,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment