Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Wednesday Thought -- May 18, 2011

Good Morning Friends,

“No one lights a lamp and hides it in a jar or puts it under a bed. Instead, he puts it on a stand, so that those who come in can see the light. For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open. Therefore consider carefully how you listen. Whoever has will be given more; whoever does not have, even what he thinks he has will be taken from him.” (Luke 8:16-18)
There is a sentence in this passage that is frightening for many people. Jesus teaches that the things we try to hide will be brought out into the open. The private thoughts that we have will be made known to everyone. The secret words that we speak will be broadcast for all to hear. The actions that we want to keep hidden will be shown so that all can see them.

I know there are thoughts that I’ve had that I am embarrassed by and ashamed of. I would prefer that no one else find out about those thoughts. There are words that I’ve spoken that I don’t want anyone else to hear. There are things that I’ve done that I know were wrong and I’d like them to be covered over and never revealed.

Why would God want all those sinful things brought into the open?
I can only think of one reason – they bring Him glory. They do that by demonstrating His grace and mercy. My sins – though I’m ashamed of them – are an evidence of how great God’s love and grace is towards me. God is not ashamed of anything I’ve done. He is not embarrassed by any of my thoughts or actions. All of them have been brought under the cleansing blood of Jesus. I’ve been forgiven for them all.
They no longer stand as evidences of my wretchedness. Instead, they stand as evidence of God’s grace.

Isn’t that worth revealing?
His, by Grace,
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment